In the first half of the class, we saw some videos about Palestine, and how Palestinian people weren't able to go back home from school. I was surprised by the fact that kids are not able to go back to their houses because of the "security fences." Also, the way the guard treated the Palestinian women and kids, was extremely cruel, and it is so unbelievable that the gates can open or close depending on the guard's mood.
After that, we learned about a documentary director, John Pilger. He is neither Jewish nor Muslim, and he is as neutral as possible. He made this video called "Palestine is Still the Issue." From what we learned in the previous classes, it was kind of obvious that Israel and America will hate it, which they actually did. The first film was released in 1977, and the second one was published in 2002. Mr. Paterson told us that there was almost no change in the story, which was very surprising to me. This is because there were 20-25 years in between. Since I know that the world can change a lot in 20 years, especially during the 19s it was very astonishing to hear that almost anything has changed in the last few decades. On Vimeo, which has a lot of professional videos, compared to youtube, and other platforms, we started watching "Palestine is Still the Issue." In between, we stopped a couple of times to discuss this video, and what is happening. The first thing that surprised me was the fact that Palestinian suicide bomb themselves. We paused and discussed it. We all had the idea that we won't normally wake up and think, "Oh! I'm going to suicide bomb myself today!" We thought about it and ended up thinking that they had no hope for their future, and that's why they wanted to kill themselves, and at the same time, kill some people from Israel, which is their enemy. It's so heartbreaking to think that people are forced this much and come to a point where they would lose hope to live. Also, as I continued watching the video, I saw a clip of a woman, whose house was demolished by Israel. Her family was living at the same place for over 900 years, and I felt the anger towards Israel, that they can trample it so easily. In addition her word, "I feel abandoned by the world, nobody is taking care of us," really stood out to me and I felt sorry for not be knowing this devastating situation until very recently and being indifferent. I thought that people from the outside have the best opportunity to help people in need, so I thought that it is important for us to take action.
Comments
Post a Comment