Tuesday June 1st

    Since my number was odd, I was in the class last week, making me a teacher for today. Last class, we were divided into three different groups, and my group decided to teach 2 on 2. Although I felt like I have understood pretty much everything that Mr. Paterson has talked about last class, I realized how it wasn't in my brain so well. I didn't know where to start, or how to go through the story so that people I am teaching would clearly understand the concept of the whole plot. In the first group, I first tried to teach just from my memory. However, I quickly realized that I can't be 100% sure that my words are right. So, I decided to look back at my notes and tried to explain the whole story. I tried to explain as best as I could. However, I soon after found out that I was missing so much information. I had missed the point that there were two trials, one in Ecuador, one in the united states, or the fact about chevron. Although I wasn't able to teach very well to the students with even numbers in the first round, by having two rounds of discussion, I felt that my understanding of this problem deepened and that I can now explain what is happening in a better way. 

    In the second half of the class, we learned about the Bhopal disaster. I was devastated to hear that more than 30,000 people were killed in this accident, meaning more deaths than 9.11 and hardly anyone knows that it even happened. I thought that it was weird how a company can pretend as if nothing had happened, and act like it's not their fault. Moreover, any media is hardly trying to let people know about this accident because it was caused by a big American company. In this situation, people in the Bhopal region are obviously not treated as the same human beings. Throughout this class, I thought that more people should know about this tragedy and think more deeply about this topic. 

Comments